Looking For The Best Books For Kids?
Maybe you're wondering whether reading is still important for Kids these days?
Or maybe you're wondering whether it’s possible to teach your baby to read?
You’ll find all this and more at www.Best-Books-for-Kids.com
Hi and welcome to my site!
I'm a mum of three and have always been an avid reader and writer. I'm also studying literacy and language development as part of a teaching degree at Macquarie University here in Sydney.
Getting kids excited about reading is my passion so I started Best-Books-for-Kids.com to share everything I've learned about the things parents can do to give their children the best possible start in literacy.
Reading is incredibly important because it's the foundation for everything your child will learn at school. If a child can read well, he has the skills to enable him to make the most of the material that's taught to him.
Being a good reader is also a huge confidence boost for kids and, of course, it's also an important life skill.
Here at www.Best-Books-for-Kids.com I'll share with you the best non-fiction and fiction books for kids, including the best books for babies, the best books for teens and some great books for boys which are guaranteed to get them reading.
As well as great tips and information about reading to children and which books to choose, you’ll also find information about things like:
My interest in children's books started when my twin sons were born back in 1995.
I've always loved reading so I started reading to them when they were only a few days old and went on to read to them just about every day as they were growing up.
In the beginning I had trouble finding books for babies. To my surprise, there just weren't that many around and some of the ones I did manage to find were, to be honest, pretty bland and boring. But I kept looking and, as the boys reached the toddler stage, I found that there were more books to choose from.
Over the years, we found some wonderful books and had great fun reading together.
My daughter came along in 1998 and I continued to seek out the best books for kids and to take notes about which ones became favourites - and which ones didn't.
Along the way, I read evidence from the experts about why reading is so important and how it can actually help you raise smart kids. I learned about the importance of reading to children (and how to do it) and about why kids love Dr Seuss books so much.
I hope you find my experience helpful as I share what I’ve learned about the best books for kids and the importance of reading to children.
Table of Contents
- The Importance of Reading. Why Reading Is Important For Kids
- Do you wonder about the importance of reading for kids today? Most parents know reading is important. Find out why here.
- Reading to Children and Babies. Why Is It So Important?
- Reading to children gives them a head-start in life. Why exactly is it so important, how should you do it, when should you start and which books are best?
- Raise A Reader. Tips To Help You Raise A Reader
- Keen to raise a reader? Raising a child who reads well and who loves books and reading is easy when you know how. Check out my tips to help you raise a reader.
- Reading Quotes. Inspirational And Fun Quotes About Reading
- The reading quotes on this page have been collected over the past sixteen years of reading to my kids.
- Children's Authors. Popular Authors Who Write For Kids
- On this page you'll find a list of some of the best children's authors to help you find great books for your kids.
- Book Gifts. Give The Gift Of Reading To The Kids In Your Life
- I love book gifts - both receiving them and giving them!
- A Book Gift Basket For A Child. How To Make Your Own
- A book gift basket makes a unique gift for a child of any age. They're easy to make and you can tailor them to your budget, the occasion and to the age and interests of the child.
- Ideas For A Baby Shower. A 'Baby's First Library' Baby Shower
- If you're looking for ideas for a baby shower, what about a "Baby's First Library" theme?
- Poetry For Children. Why It's Important And What To Read
- There's some great poetry for children available but it can be hard to know which poems are good to share with children and where to find them.
- Nursery Rhyme List. Free Nursery Rhymes To Share
- This page contains a nursery rhyme list with links to the best-known and most popular nursery rhymes for children.
- Waltzing Matilda. A Bush Ballad By A B "Banjo" Paterson
- Waltzing Matilda is Australia's unofficial national anthem. Most Australians know the words and who wrote it but do you know how it came to be written?
- Edward Lear. Writer Of Nonsense Poems And Limericks
- Edward Lear is best-known for his nonsense poems for children, especially his limericks and his poem, The Owl and the Pussycat. Nonsense poems help kids develop important pre-reading skills.
- Ogden Nash. American Author Of Nonsense Poems For Kids
- Ogden Nash was an American writer who is mostly remembered for his nonsense poems for children. His poems are great fun to share with children and help build an awareness of language.
- Robert Louis Stevenson. About The Author & His Poems For Kids
- Robert Louis Stevenson was a Scottish writer and poet who, as well as writing some great adventure stories, also wrote wonderful poems for children.
- Banjo Paterson. Author Of Australian Poems
- Banjo Paterson is one of our most famous Australians and one of Australia's best-known and most loved poets. His poems about the Australian bush and its people are part of the Australian culture.
- Teach Your Child To Read. It's Easy, It's Fun And It's Free!
- You can teach your child to read without the need for expensive programs or classes. It's as easy as reading aloud to your child every single day.
- Phonological Awareness. A Crucial Skill For Learning To Read
- Phonological awareness is an important and reliable predictor of later reading ability. So how do you ensure your child develops the phonological skills necessary for learning to read?
- Struggling Readers. How Parents Can Help Struggling Readers
- Struggling readers need help and encouragement to get the hang of reading.
- Books For Babies. The Best Books From Birth To 18 Months
- Choosing the best books for babies can be confusing, especially if you're a new parent. There are many hundreds of books for babies in print but how do you know which are the best ones?
- Toddler Books. The Best Books For Toddlers Aged 1-3 Years
- If you have a toddler books are probably a big part of your life. Children aged between 1 and 3 love books but how do you choose the best ones?
- Books For Young Children. How Do You Choose The Best Ones?
- Wondering how to choose great books for young children? Looking for books you'll actually enjoy reading to your child? It's a task that sounds easy but can actually be quite hard to get right.
- Teen Book Reviews. The Best Books For Teens And Young Adults
- It can be hard to find good fiction for teenagers. These teen book reviews will help you choose books they'll love.
- The Magic Tree House Series. Brilliant Books For 7-9 Year Olds
- The Magic Tree House Series is a brilliant series of books aimed at 7-9 year old boys and girls.
- Dr Seuss Books. Why They Matter And Which Ones To Read
- Kids love Dr Seuss books. The silly rhymes and quirky illustrations appeal to children of all ages. In fact, introducing your kids to Sr Seuss is one of the fun parts of being a parent.
- Enid Blyton. All About The Author And Her Books For Children
- Enid Blyton was one of my favourite authors when I was a kid.
- Roald Dahl. Author Of Quirky Stories And Poems For Kids
- Roald Dahl was an English writer who is probably best known for the books, short stories and quirky rhymes he wrote for children. Some of his books have been made into films but the books are better!
- Rudyard Kipling. Author And Writer Of Poems For Children
- Rudyard Kipling was an English poet and writer of short stories and novels, many of them for children. His stories are filled with fantastic language and imagery and are perfect for reading aloud!
- Green Eggs And Ham. One Of The Most Famous Dr Seuss books
- Green Eggs and Ham was one of my kids’ absolute favourite books when they were small. We read it over and over again and laughed over the silliness of it. But do you know how it came to be written?
- Classic Fairy Tales. Origins And History Of Classic Fairy Tales
- The classic fairy tales we know today have their origins in a tradition of oral storytelling which is as old as human civilisation.
- Visiting The Library. Why It's Important For Kids & Even Babies!
- It's a great idea to start visiting the library with your baby early on in his or her life. If you do this, the library will quickly become a familiar and enjoyable place to be.
- Parenting Books For All Stages, From Babies To Teens
- Good parenting books can be hard to find among the thousands of books available. Here are the best books for all ages and stages.
- Best Books For Kids Links
- The Best Books for Kids links page features links to interesting articles and sites about children's books and reading.
- About Best Books For Kids. About Me And My Site
- A bit about Best Books for Kids, how the website came into being and a little bit about me, the owner and author of www.best-books-for-kids,com.
- The Book Depository. My Favourite Place To Buy Books!
- The Book Depository is a fantastic online book store and the place I buy almost all my books these days. Why? The main reasons are the free postage and the great prices but there are more advantages.
- Christmas Books For Kids. Start A Tradition For Your Children
- A collection of Christmas books can become a lovely part of your family's preparations for Christmas, creating happy memories of a special family Christmas tradition.
- Christmas Stories. Free Printable Copies To Share.
- Sharing Christmas stories with your children in the lead-up to Christmas is a wonderful way to teach them about the traditions and history surrounding this time of year.
- Twas The Night Before Christmas: A Visit From St Nicholas
- 'Twas The Night Before Christmas: A Visit From St Nicholas. All about the famous poem and its origins plus a free copy to share with your children!
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas! A Fantastic Dr Seuss Book
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas is one of Dr Seuss's best-loved and most famous books. It's a classic Christmas book and a great one to share with kids of all ages, especially at Christmas time.
- The Harry Potter Series. What's The Best Age For The Books?
- The Harry Potter series is brilliant to read aloud to your child but when's the best age to start?
- Picture Books For Kids About Australian History
- These picture books for kids explain a bit about different periods in Australia's history.
- Robert Louis Stevenson Poems. Short Rhyming Poems For Kids
- On this page you'll find a selection of the most popular Robert Louis Stevenson poems to share with your children.
- Baby Shower Gifts For Mom. Special Gifts For A Baby Shower
- Looking for unusual baby shower gifts for Mom? Check out these gift ideas.